Thursday, March 19, 2009

Where are the prairie dogs?

I posted this on my personal blog, but don't think you all read it! This is important information!

You might be confused by the title of this post. Many people think of prairie dogs as the small, burrowing rodents native to the grasslands of North America. Many Fortune 500 companies use the term prairie dogs referring to the action of several people simultaneously looking over the walls of their cubicles in response to a loud noise or some distraction.

Prairie dogs are notorious for popping their heads up out of burrows when they are startled. Well, many runners experience the prairie dog phenomenon during long runs. Are you still confused? Well, let me clear it up for you. Prairie dogging is when you feel like you have to poop when you're running. No, prairie dogging is when the poop is-a-coming and you're fighting with that critter to keep it inside. You are squeezing cheeks and praying out loud. Do you get my drift? This can be a very uncomfortable situation. With every step your anxiety builds a little more. You say, "Come on little doggie. Go back inside. We aren't playing fetch right now."

I have been pretty lucky. I've only had one prairie dog experience when running. I had a pint of Ben and Jerry's Brownie Delight ice cream. I waited one hour and then went for a run on a hot day. Hmm, I'm not sure I even need to explain any more. Let's imagine-Just ate ice cream, hot day, running, and need to poop! It was not a pleasant run. I was able to successfully make it back to the house and complete the run.

I guess you could say, "I used my shock collar" on that prairie dog. Woo hoo for me!

Now, my husband is an expert in squelching the prairie dog. Lord have mercy, he gets a prairie dog darn near EVERY time he runs. We used to have to work our runs around his poop schedule just to avoid the prairie dog. Yes, our runs revolved around him "Dropping the Cosby Kids Off at the Pool" or "Taking the Browns to the Super Bowl" or "Making a Wonka bar for Uncle Willy".

Anyway, I hope you don't experience IPDS (Intense Prairie Dog Syndrome). If this is happening to you start watching what you eat a little more closely. If you are eating very dense foods, a lot of fruit, not getting enough water, running on a full stomach, nervous, or overheated you might experience these symptoms more intensely.

May all your running be on "trails" and never leave "tracks" in your pants. :) Happy SHEP Free Running (Super Hot Explosive Poop).

The always classy and never brassy,
Hopeinator "Sweet Feet" Magnus

2 comments:

  1. I've got a good handle on my prairie dogs now, but I do recall a harrowing prairie dog incident while I was trying to set a PR during the Cleveland Half Marathon a few years back. I drove up to the marathon with some SARC people...they picked me up early...got my red wiener dog barking, waking up the whole house, thus interrupting my sacred pre-marathon toilet routine. It was just awful. I got my PR though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting your PR and not pooping your pants in the process! Victory...sweet victory.

    ReplyDelete